Sunday, April 11, 2010

11 Weeks to go, 2 Weeks to Fling

Panic setting in now, a chest infection kept me out for 2 weeks started back on Thursday with a 90 min hill run, felt awful. Then traveling and parenting meant no running Fri-Sat so this morning the plan was to get up early and go do a 6 hour trail run with 2000m ascent. After finaly dragging my ass out the bed at 8:30 and getting coffee and breakfast into me the chances of a 6 hour run were dwindling. Instead I opted for a fast 20km hill run straight up the side of one of our local hills 10km up. I was about 7 mins slower than previous pb so all in all I shouldn't be too disapointed. BUT I have not done any runs further than 40km this year or 5 hours where as the past 2 years I have done several 5hour plus runs. In less than 2 weeks I will be starting the Fling an 85km trail race that has a time limit so I cant even take it easy and hope for the best. I have always said that 90% of this race is in the head so I think I will have to prove it this year, though I wish I had done the last 10% training. As there is always a silver lining the trees are pollonating today and the air was a thick yellow soup so I hate to think what my lungs are like a 5 hour run may have resulted in several pine trees taking root in my alveoli.

3 comments:

Prashanth Narayanasetti said...

Hey Brett,

how is your chest infection now, hope you are set.
So how did the Fling 85km trail race go ?

Cheers
Prashanth

bgreen said...

The race did not go well, I failed to make the cut off at 70km. Had to make the checkpoint in 10 hours and I got there 10 hours 2 mins. Nearly 2 hours slower than last year so I am not got a lot of hope for the race next week.

Prashanth Narayanasetti said...

Brett,

Come on, I do not think you need to give up hopes. You just missed the checkpoint by 2mins (too close), so which implies that you are completely capable for the next week's race, with some more of practice and loads of good rest.

I wish you all the best and am sure that things will go well :)